Twitter Me This? Andy Richter & Steven Page

A couple of hundred updates later and I think I might be getting a hang of this Twitter thing. With just a few minutes perusing my fellow Twits (that's the nomenclature, right?) I came across two bits of breaking(ish) news:

Andy Richter is returning as Conan O'Brien's sidekick! I haven't paid much attention to the end of O'Brien's run at Late Night or the ramp up to his taking the helm at the Tonight Show as I've given up on the late night chat shows and spend my nights with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. But back when I was a regular watcher, I loved the goofy, easy-going interaction between Richter and O'Brien. Apparently, so does he:
"Andy is one of the funniest people I know and we've maintained a close friendship since he left "Late Night," said O'Brien. "We have a proven chemistry that will be an incredible asset to "The Tonight Show." I'm looking forward to working with Andy on a daily basis again, particularly since he owes me $300."
I may have to start watching again. I'm glad to see Richter back as he has mostly been wasted in everything since the cancelled-too-soon Andy Richter Controls the Universe.

The other tidbit of news to filter through on Twitter was that Steven Page is leaving the Barenaked Ladies and going solo. The news was announced by Page himself on his new blog, via Twitter:
"Yes, it's official. I am no longer a Barenaked Lady. After twenty years (plus a few months), I'm heading out on my own."
And it was confirmed on the BNL site:
"By mutual agreement, Steven Page will be parting company with the remaining members of Barenaked Ladies. Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Ed Robertson, and Tyler Stewart will continue recording and touring together as Barenaked Ladies."
Wow, that's a pretty major move seeing as they have been together for 20 years. One can't but help think this has all been triggered by his cocaine arrest last July, but perhaps it was time for him to do something new. Sure, I took my shots at Page's arrest in a typical bit of schadenfreude, and there will be many who will scoff at this turn of events, but I've always had a soft spot for the boys of BNL. They always seemed to be genuinely enjoying what they do and I do hope it all works out for them. Time will tell, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe
Google+